Thursday, December 17, 2009

Listening Journal 3

Nirvana - Bleach
-sounds awesome at high volume on terrible speakers
-not so good on earbuds

Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors
-can't remember the last time I hated an album this much
-I feel sorry for the kid, and I hate myself for it because this is exactly what he wants
-what I don't get about serial daters - why so emotional about it? you know you're going to fall for a new person soon after your breakup, so why act like your life is over after this one?
-what aggravates me most is that there's some real melodic sense on display here, but it's overshadowed by the kid's narcissism
-things get better - I did give Cassadaga an honorable mention a couple of days ago

Tom Waits - Nighthawks at the Diner
-hilarious, and Waits' rapport with the crowd is great
-band is solid, but I'd like to hear more instrumental work
-the songwriting is a little lacking and formulaic at this point, though occasionally effective
-"Better Off Without a Wife" - engaged friends, please listen to this one

No comments:

Post a Comment