Monday, September 7, 2009

A Quick Reading Update

Finished Leif Enger's So Brave, Young and Handsome a couple of weeks ago. I adore his first novel Peace Like a River and was rather disappointed in this one. On a sentence by sentence basis, it's a stunner, but the narrator is thoroughly passive and spends most of the novel playing catch-up wit more interesting characters.

Also read Walter Wannegrin's The Book of the Dun Cow last week. It's a fine fable, populated entirely by talking animals and really deserves a full discussion if I can find the time for it.

I'm about 40% of the way through George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones, the first novel in his A Song of Fire and Ice series. So far, it's been a pure, brisk pleasure and has made me realize what a complete and childish chore The Wheel of Time is - I shall not be returning to that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment